Archive - Aug 4, 2013
Melvin F. "Sam" Nissel, 84, of 137 E. Condot Rd., St. Marys, died on Sunday, Aug. 4, 2013 at Elk Regional Health Center following a brief illness.
He was born April 15, 1929 in St. Marys, son of the late Albert and Rose Distler Nissel. On Oct. 17, 1953 he married Louise Hathorn and she preceded him in death on June 4, 1981. On May 9, 1986, in St. Marys, he married Marjorie Anderson and she survives.
Brian D. Krellner, 55, of 572 Center St., St. Marys, died on Saturday, Aug. 3, 2013 at Elk Regional Health Center surrounded by his family.
He was born December 19, 1957 in St. Marys, a son of the late Joseph, who died in 1986, and Margaret Cooney Krellner, who preceded him in death on January 27, 2013.Â
On June 26, 1982, in Sacred Heart Church, he married Christine Hathorn Krellner, who survives.
Brian was dedicated to his work and enjoyed the more than 31 years he spent at Keystone Carbon Company.Â He enjoyed books, boats, airplanes, playing guitar and motorcycles.
William H. Brunner, 77, of 3419 Grant Rd., Ridgway died Saturday afternoon, August 3, 2013, at Elk Haven Nursing Home.
He was born November 13, 1935 in Ridgway, son of the late Walter H. and Hattie (States) Brunner.
He married Lois J. Goodreau on April 24, 1954, and she preceded him in death on December 19, 2008.
There was a slight chill in the air on Sunday morning as area residents descended upon Memorial Park for the second annual Michael B. Proudfit 5K Walk/Run, but the gloomy weather did not deter participants from taking part in the popular event. According to Rachel Schreiber, who helped coordinate the race, there were 125 people preregistered for the event and another 50 estimated to have shown up Sunday morning, making for a total of roughly 175 participants.
The championship of Memorial Park's Mario Kart team tournament on Nintendo 64 pitted a father and son pair against a team of brothers, a result that reflected the fun family friendly nature of the entire event.
"I noticed that a lot of the team members had the same last name, so it was nice to see that a lot of families got together and paired up for the tournament," said Luke Daghir, one of the coordinators of the event.
Editor's note: This is the seventh in a series of articles from a presentation recently given by local historian Ray Beimel on the history of the Diamond.
Throughout the community's history a number of businesses and organizations have been located along the Diamond. Today the area is home to the Boys and Girls Club, City Hall, and Ivan's Men's Wear and Women's Apparel, to name a few.