August 26th, 2014
Louis Richard â€śGigiâ€ť Notarianni, 81, of Powers Avenue, Johnsonburg, died Monday, Aug. 25, 2014 at Pinecrest Manor after a short illness.
He was born Sept. 8, 1932 in Johnsonburg, son of the late Victor and Jean (Victor) Notarianni.
Mr. Notarianni married Carol Catherine (Baum) on April 20, 1963 in Holy Rosary Church. She preceded him in death on Nov. 24, 2006.
Following his Johnsonburg High School graduation he continued his education for four years at Gannon University.
Paul J. Cunningham, 83, of 1116 South Michael Rd., St. Marys, died on Monday, Aug. 25, 2014 at UPMC Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh following a brief illness.
He was born on December 11, 1930, a son of the late John and Ida Friedl Cunningham.
On August 4, 1950 in St. Mary's Church, he married Ruth Schatz Cunningham, who survives.
Nancy Bille Bleggi, 58, of Gaithersburg, Md., died on Aug. 23, 2014 in home hospice surrounded by her family and beloved dogs.
She was born in St. Marys to the late Richard and Betty Bille of Gypsy Road, and was married to Scott Bleggi, also a St. Marys native.
Nancy was a tireless advocate for improved educational and therapy services for the disabled in the Washington, DC metro area and overseas during her husband's foreign service assignments.
The St. Marys Area Flying Dutch golf team opened their dual match season Monday by playing host to the Kane Wolves at Bavarian Hills Golf Course.
The Wolves downed the Dutchmen by a 241-249 score.
Three St. Marys residents are charged in a robbery and theft that allegedly occurred on Friday, Aug. 22 at around 9 p.m. at 430 N. St. Marys St.
According to the affidavit of probable cause, the victim reported that four individuals wearing black clothing with their faces covered entered his apartment through the back door that was open. An investigation led to the arrests of Andrew Krewduk, 24, Faith Gagliardi, 21 and Savannah Satterwhite, 47.
Police are seeking the public's help in locating Dustin Allen Courteau, of 543 Chestnut Street.
The Elk County Sheriff's Department cooled off on a hot summer afternoon for a good cause.
The department took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Monday afternoon at the Ridgway Firemen's Carnival Grounds to help support the ALS Association.
The challenge wasn't just a way to cool off as the department donated $250 to the ALS Association.
The department was nominated by members of the Pennsylvania Sheriff's Association for the challenge and had the assistance of the Ridgway Fire Department and Ridgway Sheetz.
Freda Marie Carpin, 92, of Madison St., Byrnedale, died early Monday, Aug. 25, 2014 at Elk Haven Nursing Home, after a short illness.
She was born on June 18, 1922 in Byrnedale, daughter of the late George and Lily Jeanette (Bennett) Hollobaugh.
She married James J. Carpin in January1939, who died in May 1998.
A lifelong resident of Byrnedale, she lived in the same house for all of her 92 years.Â
Phyllis A. DePrater, 89, of 214 Taft Rd., St. Marys, died peacefully on Saturday, Aug. 23, 2014.
She was born on October 15, 1924, a daughter of the late Freed Auman and Caroline Heiberger Auman Geitner.
On May 4, 1946 in St. Mary's Church, she married BenedictÂ A. DePrater, who preceded her in death on June 21, 2012.
Ralph E. Youngmark, 55, of Caledonia Rd., Weedville died at home on Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014 after a brief illness.
He was born on Feb. 8, 1959 in St. Marys, son of Dolores (Huff) Youngmark and the late John H. Youngmark Sr.
He was a graduate of St. Marys Area High School, class of 1977, and worked as a machinist with Morgan AM&T of St. Marys for 37 years. He was a member of CMF of St. Marys and a lifelong resident of Bennetts Valley. He enjoyed his time on his farm on Winslow Hill, Benezette.
The 2014-2015 school year begins on Tuesday, and as part of a new endeavor to make faculty, staff, students, and visitors more cognizant of the fragrances of products they use and how those odors impact those around them, the Elk County Catholic School System (ECCSS) has adopted a new Scent-Free Environment Policy.
ECCSS President Sam MacDonald explained that the policy came about due to an increasing number of individuals within the school system experiencing reactions to certain scented products.