February 9th, 2014
Margaret M. Diem, 40, of 195 Uhl Road, Kersey died on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014, at UPMC Shadyside Hospital in Pittsburgh following a courageous battle with cancer.
She was born on Jan. 8, 1974 in St. Marys, a daughter of Daniel Tucker of Glen Hazel and Connie Socash of St. Marys.
On June 30, 2012, she married Harry Diem,who survives.
Margaret was a graduate of SMAHS and a graduate of Penn State University.Â She had been employed at MexAmerica for many years and was a member of the Eagles.Â She enjoyed gardening, working out and camping.Â Most of all, she enjoyed spending time with her family.
Bernard J. "Sonny" Greenthaner, 94, of 1716 Bucktail Trail, St. Marys, died Sunday, Feb. 9, 2014 at the Elk Regional Health Center after a brief illness.
He was born Sept. 4, 1919 in Cadogan, son of the late Fred and Mary Kurzinger Greenthaner. He was a lifelong resident of the area and attended schools in Cadogan. He was a retired employee of Modern Dairy. He was a member of Queen of the World Church, enjoyed gardening and was an avid Pittsburgh Pirates fan.
On June 20, 1946, he married Helen Nagy who preceded him in death in January 2006.
Carol M. Parisi, 69, of 501 Townview Rd., St. Marys, formerly of Emporium, died at her residence early Sunday morning, Feb. 9, 2014.
She was born May 23, 1944 in St. Marys, daughter of the late Floyd Wickett and Ann Unick.
Carol worked at Walmart for many years where she enjoyed meeting new people and socializing with her coworkers. Carol's grandchildren, who held a special place in her heart, were the joy of her life along with her many "forever friends."
The St. Marys Servicemen's Detail held their annual banquet on Saturday evening at Bavarian Hills, and a good size crowd of both members and nonmembers turned out for the occasion.
Tom Price served as the master of ceremonies, and following dinner and introductions, he highlighted events in which Detail members participated through 2013.
Each year, the St. Marys Servicemen's Detail attempts to honor a veteran from the area who has received the Purple Heart medal for wounds suffered in combat in the U.S. Armed Forces. At their annual banquet on Saturday night, they honored a man who has received not one, but two of the medals.
During a recent tour of the St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery, local historian Ray Beimel made stops by some of the graves of individuals with religious ties who are buried in the facility.
One of those people was the man responsible for building Decker's Chapel.Â
According to Beimel, Michael Decker Sr., a farmer who lived across from where Tractor Supply is currently located, injured himself and made a vow that resulted in the chapel's construction.Â
The Elk County Catholic Crusaders overcame a 13-point Ridgway Elker lead midway in the third quarter to register a 48-46 AML win Friday night at the ECCHS gym.
Bernice A. Krivonyak, 55, of 136 Hollow St., Kersey, died unexpectedly Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014, at her home.
She was born Jan. 12, 1959 in New Haven, Conn., daughter of the late Rudolph Gornati and Elizabeth Shadd Gornati, who survives of Kersey. She was a lifelong resident of the area and was a graduate of St. Marys Area High School. She was currently employed at Walmart.
On April 20, 1979 in the St. Boniface Church, she married Michael J. Krivonyak, who survives.
While Governor Corbett may have proposed an increase to the state education budget, St. Marys Area School District is not benefitting from the increase.
Although Corbett's preliminary budget is not set in stone the figures provide the school district an opportunity to start to build its budget and estimate what they anticipate receiving from the state and federal government, earned income and real estate.
SMASD's proposed 2014-15 budget is $9,782,347, an increase compared to the 2013-14 budget of $9,571,032.
St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery is the final resting place of some of the founders of the community, and local historian Ray Beimel pointed out a few of their graves during a recent tour of the cemetery.Â
The first grave Beimel stopped at, which is located near the chapel, is that of John Walker.Â