Skip to main content

Bodien family struggles after fire

August 19, 2011

The home of Jim and Nancy Bodien was destroyed by a fire last Saturday night. Record file photo.

Things went from bad to worse when a fire ripped through the home of Jim and Nancy Bodien at 45 Fremont Ave., Ridgway, last Saturday night.
The kitchen, dining room and bathroom took the brunt of the fire leaving the smoke and water to destroy the rest of the home.
Five miles away at Nancy's mother's residence, she received a call from her sister at about 10:10 p.m. Saturday night to tell her that her house was on fire.
Fortunately, no one was in the home at the time of the blaze.
"We all ran to the car and prayed the whole way down Montmorenci," Nancy said. "I just prayed it wasn't our house and if it was I prayed that our pets were okay and that the fire could be detained."
When the Bodien family reached the corner of Fremont Avenue and Erie Street all they could do was stand and watch as their home went up in flames.
According to reports, it is believed a short in the stove was the cause of the fire.
"The [insurance] adjuster came and said it was a short in the stove itself and that exact model had been recalled and we didn't know it had," Nancy said.
Unfortunately the Bodien family did not have content coverage for their house insurance.
"They will fix the house, but all of the contents are gone," Nancy said. "When you get your first house when you're young you don't pay attention to all of the details like you should. We didn't have the best insurance so everything that was inside the house is gone. We were just scrimping to get by before so now it's even worse than it was before.
"We don't have any means or anything to even begin thinking about starting over because we just don't have anything."
With the support of the Red Cross and a Marcellus Shale driller, the Bodien family is living at the Comfort Inn in St. Marys.
While juggling four children in a crowded hotel room and tending to her husband, who suffers from Huntington's disease, Nancy is trying to organize the home to be cleaned out and gutted.
"The contractor that does the job is not allowed to do the cleanup, so we have to get somebody or go in ourselves and clear it all out," Nancy said. "We looked into getting a dumpster and it's going to cost about $1,000. We can start anytime and start removing everything."
With just the clothes on their back, Nancy noted that the children are understanding.
"Having Jim's mom around to help out the past couple days gave me a little sanity because I was going insane up there with all of the noise and trying to make these calls to these important places to figure out what is the next step because there is no checklist in life," Nancy said. "You are given a checklist for everything. When you have a fire there is no checklist, so what do you do? Where do you begin?

The St. Marys Area Dutch wrestling team opened their home dual meet season with a 42-21 victory...
The Elk County Catholic Crusader basketball team improved to 3-0 on the season with a 55-34...
The St. Marys Area High School gymnastics team defeated the visiting Bellefonte squad 121.125-114....
On March 14, 2012, Governor Tom Corbett signed into law a contentious piece of legislation...