St. Marys home destroyed in blaze, sparks brush fire
A St. Marys home was destroyed in a Friday afternoon blaze at 105 Challingsworth Rd., located off of Taft Road.Fire companies from St. Marys, Fox Township and Johnsonburg responded to the call.The garage area of the residence was fully engulfed upon arrival at approximately 2:03 p.m. and quickly spread to the two-story structure which was a complete loss. Heavy smoke was also initially reported. Tom Bauer, Crystal Fire Department spokesman, said crews were faced with two fires as the blaze sparked a brush fire at the back right of the residence which began to encroach on a neighboring home. A secondary crew utilized brush fire trucks from St. Marys and Fox Twp. fire departments in battling the brush fire encompassing nearly 1.5 acres.