Council approves police promotion policy

Members of the St. Marys City Council approved a resolution pertaining to procedures and promotions within the St. Marys Police Department.City Manager Dave Greene explained that City Solicitor Tom Wagner met with St. Marys Police Chief Todd Caltagarone along with members of the Civil Service Commission, during which time the commission introduced procedures in determining which personnel are eligible for promotions. Such procedures were never before in place.The resolution states a police officer may be eligible for a promotion if they have five years of full-time service or a combination of three years' full-time service and two years' full-time service with another police department.Any police officer who desires to apply for a promotion must submit a written application and resume no later than 10 days after the date of posting of a position. They must also submit to a written exam conducted by the Civil Service Commission and receive a minimum score of 70 percent in order to be eligible for the oral exam. In addition, any officer who has been promoted has the right to return to their prior position, if available, or to regular duty with the department as long as they do so within 180 days of their promotion. Council approved a request from the St. Marys Area Chamber of Commerce to close Market Street to through traffic beginning at 1 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 17 in order for the organization to hold their annual Wing Fling. Ashley O'Dell, the Chamber's community outreach coordinator, was on hand at the meeting, during which council also approved the request to waive the city's open container law from 5-10 p.m. for the duration of the event. Also approved was the appointment of Michael Kronenwetter to the Recreation Board. Kronenwetter will fill the unexpired term left vacant by Tami Catalone.Mayor Sally Geyer noted she had been contacted by a resident inquiring about the no smoking signs posted in local parks. Geyer questioned as to how the signs were permitted to be posted without council's permission.