Crusaders win Elk County Soccer Tournament

Crusaders win Elk County Soccer TournamentBy Greg ReedySports EditorRIDGWAY — The Elk County Catholic Crusaders won the Elk County Soccer Tournament with a 4-0 victory over Redbank Valley Saturday at Francis S. Grandinetti Elementary School. "I think the kids are happy to carry on a tradition," Elk County Catholic coach Adam Bailey said. The first 25 minutes of the match were fairly evenly played. Redbank Valley had a pair of corner in the first five minutes but were unable to get any good scoring chances out of them. ECC would take a 1-0 with 14:54 left in the first half as Ian Herzing would get the score the first goal. It only took 34 seconds for Elk County Catholic to double the lead as Austin Minard would score on a short shot for a 2-0 lead. The Crusaders would keep the offensive pressure on throughout the next five minutes and it would lead to an ECC penalty kick which would be converted by Ben Herbstritt for a 3-0 lead with seven minutes left in the half. "I think we kind of got our stride, that's what we're doing," Bailey said. "Maybe we saw some things we could do and executed."Early in the second half, Herzing converted a chip from Minard for his second goal of the game and a 4-0 lead for the Crusaders. "We're happy with the win," Bailey said. "With a wet and sloppy field, there's always a lot to work on." ECC plays at Port Allegany for a 4 p.m. match this afternoon. "We did lose quite a few seniors to graduation last year," Bailey said. "They are working to build and see what we can do."Consolation gameThe consolation game saw Ridgway defeat St. Marys 3-2 in overtime. Chris Persinger scored the game-winning goal as he would be able to get enough of a cross to roll it into the net on a wet field after a second-half downpour. While there were some good chances in the first half from Kyle Jacobs of Ridgway and Tim Mosebarger of St. Marys, neither team could get on the scoreboard. As the weather turned ugly in the second half, the offenses began to pick up the scoring. John Kennepohl would score off of a scramble in the penalty area, which would give St. Marys a 1-0 lead. The Dutch lead would not last for long as Luke Bobby would tie the game three minutes later. With 10:30 left in the second half, Justin Kinkead would score off a rebound which was fumbled due to the wet conditions and was able to stick it home for a 2-1 Ridgway lead. St. Marys would tie the game with just over eight minutes remaining as Dalton Gennocro weaved his way through the Ridgway defense and was able to put it in the back of the net to tie the game at 2-all. Ridgway (1-2) will play at Kane for a 4 p.m. match Tuesday. St. Marys is at Smethport for a 7 p.m. match Tuesday.