Dutch soccer drops opener 6-1 to Brockway

The St. Marys Area Flying Dutchmen soccer team suffered a minor setback in their season opener as they were defeated 6-1 by a very good Brockway squad on Tuesday afternoon at St. Marys Area High School's soccer field. Faced with the threat of rain throughout the match and a nonfunctioning scoreboard, the Dutchmen still managed to hold Brockway to a 2-1 lead at the end of the first half, but then the Rovers added four more unanswered goals throughout the second half to take the 6-1 win. "I'm a little disappointed in the way the second half went," said St. Marys coach Russ Micale. "We ended the first half [down] 2-1. We were in the game and had a real chance. It looked like we were moving the ball well on offense and creating our opportunities, but they came out the second half and scored that quick goal and things kind of deteriorated from there." Brockway wasted little time in getting on the board as senior Zach Puhala put the ball past St. Marys keeper Brett Lanzel to give the Rovers a 1-0 lead with 35:54 remaining in the first half. Puhala accounted for five of the Rovers' six goals in the contest. His second goal came less than 10 minutes later as he put another shot past Lanzel with 29:17 remaining on the clock. St. Marys scored their only goal of the contest at the 14:04 mark as Bryce Lanzel put the ball past the Brockway keeper to cut the Rovers' lead to 2-1. Brockway outshot St. Marys 15-3 in the opening half. The Rovers picked up the momentum after halftime, as Tony Shute wasted little time in finding the back of the net, giving Brockway a 3-1 lead with 39:03 left in the contest. Brockway kept Lanzel on his toes throughout the remainder of the game, as the Rovers outshot St. Marys 26-3 in the second half, though Lanzel did not allow another goal until Puhala was able to get another shot by him with 11 minutes left to give his squad a 4-1 lead. Puhala added two more goals in the final three minutes, one with 2:40 left and another with just three seconds remaining, to give the Rovers the 6-1 win. St. Marys, now 0-1 on the season, will return to action on Friday afternoon as they travel to Angela Huey Memorial Field in Fox Township to take on cross-town rival ECC in the opening round of the Elk County Boys' Soccer Tournament.