Dutch soccer shuts out Kane 4-0 Tuesday afternoon

The St. Marys Area Dutch soccer team added another win to their season record on Tuesday afternoon, shutting out the Kane Wolves 4-0 at the SMAHS soccer field. "I'm happy for the kids. We were able to score four goals, which was tied with our season high so far," said St. Marys Area coach Russ Micale. "They played a good, solid game the whole time. I'm proud of them." The Dutchmen also scored four goals in their 4-3 road win over Smethport on Tuesday, Sept. 11. Dalton Gennocro had two goals for St. Marys in Tuesday's contest, while Jarrod Lipsey and Tim Mosebarger each had one. Kane, on the other hand, came out flat in the match according to head coach Ernie Chamberlain. "We're a young team. We've been pushing ourselves to get better and to play more aggressive and to play the ball. I feel like we could have played a better game," Chamberlain said. Kane assistant coach Robert Mosier added that the Wolves squad did start to play better in the second half. "We came out with a little bit more energy. We were just flat in the first half," Mosier said. "The defense was bunching up and we weren't kicking the ball well. [We were] a little bit better in the second half but like (Chamberlain) said, we're still a young team, [there's] only one senior on the team, and we're just trying to get better every game." The Wolves initially looked like they had some fight in them as they tested St. Marys keeper Brett Lanzel within the first minute of play, but then the squad seemed to settle in and struggle to get any momentum going. St. Marys Area's passing game also appeared to be a bit rusty in the opening minutes of play, so Gennocro decided to take the ball up the field himself, putting a nice shot past Kane keeper Michael Butterfield to give St. Marys a 1-0 lead with 33:25 left to play in the half. As the Dutchmen got their momentum going, the squad had a few other nice shots. At about the midpoint of the half the team almost had another goal from a shot off of a corner kick, but Butterfield was able to reel it in and come up with the save. Just a few minutes later he was not so lucky, though, as Gennocro came up with his second goal of the game on an assist by Clancy Wiesner. St. Marys kept trying to add to their advantage throughout the remainder of the half, ultimately outshooting Kane 14-5, but the Wolves' defense stepped up and made sure no other shots made their way into the back of the net. With St. Marys up 2-0, a steady rain began to fall during halftime, setting up a wet and wild second half. The rain became increasingly worse throughout the opening minutes of the second half, drenching the players, coaches, referees, and fans, but St. Marys was able to take advantage of the weather and score both of their final two goals within the first 10 minutes of play. Jarrod Lipsey put a shot into the back of the net with 35:51 left on the clock to send the Dutchmen up 3-0, and then Tim Mosebarger added the final goal off of a corner kick by Lipsey less than five minutes later, giving St. Marys a 4-0 lead with 31:40 remaining in the contest.Kane's defense was able to prevent any further goals by St. Marys, though the Dutchmen almost added to their tally with a shot that went just wide of the empty Kane goal with just over 10 minutes left to play. Dutchman Diego Araujo also threatened to extend St. Marys' advantage with just over a minute remaining, but was unable to get a shot off. With the 4-0 win, St. Marys Area is now 3-4 on the season and will be back in action on Thursday as they travel to Coudersport to take on the Falcons in a 6 p.m. match.