Dutch soccer squad downs Kane for 1-0 win

The St. Marys Area High School boys soccer squad picked up a 1-0 win over the Kane Wolves on Tuesday afternoon at the SMAHS soccer field in a game that was not without some controversy.The scoreboard stopped functioning shortly after the start of the game, so the official time was kept by the scoreboard operator and the referees also were monitoring it from the field. With less than ten seconds to go in the game and the Dutchmen up 1-0, one of the Kane players took off down the field toward the goal with the ball. Time ran out before he crossed mid-field; however, the referees failed to hear the clock operator yelling that the game should be over. Kane's Peter Sirianni put the ball past St. Marys keeper Brett Lanzel in what the Wolves thought was the tying goal. As soon as Sirianni's shot hit the back of the net the referees blew their whistles, signifying that the goal had been scored. They were then informed that time should have already expired. The after a lengthy debate, the decision was made to not count the goal and credit St. Marys Area with the victory. "Quite a fiasco, but an interesting game and an interesting end for the guys on senior night," said St. Marys coach Russ Micale. "It was a tough-fought game. We scored that goal real quick early on and it seems like the guys kind of got complacent, satisfied with being ahead. Kane didn't stop. They kept going and we kind of got caught on our heels there a little bit and they kept pushing. We held them off though," Micale added. St. Marys scored the only goal of the contest less than two minutes into the first half as Deric Luvaas put the ball into the net with 38:09 remaining in the half to give the Dutchmen the 1-0 advantage. St. Marys outshot Kane 10-8 in the first half. The Dutchmen also had three corner kicks while the Wolves had two. The defensive struggle continued throughout the second half, with both teams recording 11 shots. The Wolves also had two corner kicks.The game was also senior night for the Dutchmen, with the senior players and statisticians, along with their parents, being honored during a ceremony at halftime. With the win, the Dutchmen are now 8-7 on the season and will return to action on Thursday when they travel to Coudersport for a 4 p.m. match against the Falcons.