User-friendly packet available for erosion and sediment control

Elk Conservation District manager Steve Putt informed his fellow group members at their recent meeting that he had developed a fill-in-the-blank packet for individuals who need to have an erosion and sediment control plan, as stipulated in Chapter 102 of the Pennsylvania Code. Putt referred to the packet he created for information related to the erosion and sediment control plan as a "small project.""The Chapter 102 regulations say that any project that is going to have 5,000 square feet or more of disturbance requires a written erosion and sediment control plan. Now that's been in the Chapter 102 regulations, I think, since 2000, but it's something that a lot of people don't know about," Putt said.He noted that individuals are not required to have an NPDES (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) permit unless there will be an acre or more of disturbance. "But those projects that fall between 5,000 square feet and one acre technically still need an erosion and sediment control plan. That plan doesn't necessarily have to be submitted to us for review unless they need some other type of DEP (state Department of Environmental Protection) permit or something along those lines," Putt said.Putt explained that his packet meets all the requirements of Chapter 102 and is easy for individuals to fill out on their own without hiring an engineer.